As I sat down to write this post I realized that this will be my fourth year of homeschooling AJ on my own and the sixth year in total of schooling at home. Some days it seems like we just started on this journey, while other times it seems like we have been homeschooling forever. This year we are going to focus on English and Math quite a bit. It is the last year before high school and I want to make sure that she is ready.
When I started thinking about the books I wanted to read I thought of novels that I have book studies for, and novels that I really enjoyed reading as a teenager. I hope that she enjoys reading most of them, but she can be reluctant to read books that aren’t about animals or fascinating adventures. My plan is to help her find additional book series that she enjoys.
Here are the books on AJ’s 8th Grade Reading List.
The first four will be completed using the Memoria Press Study Guides.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- As You Like It – This will be our first attempt at Shakespeare. To make it easier we purchased a version of the book that has both the original text and a text that is easy to understand.
- Treasure Island
- The Wind in the Willows – AJ read part of this book last year but we put it aside to finish our study on Narnia.
She will complete a study guide from Classroom Complete Press for the next set of books.
She will do book reports on the next set of books.
- Alice in Wonderland
- Through the Looking Glass
- Animal Farm (This is part of her History curriculum.)
It looks like we will have a fun filled year of reading. What books are you planning on reading this year?